Newcastle have announced the signing of Italian midfielder Sandro Tonali from AC Milan for £52 million.
The highly-rated 23-year-old Italy international completed his medical yesterday and signed a five-year contract which will keep him at St James’ Park until 2028.
He becomes Newcastle’s first major summer signing, ahead of the Magpies’ long-expected return to the Champions League after two decades away.
Tonali comes with a lot of experience in the competition, having starred for Milan in their run to the Champions League semi-finals last season. He played 12 times as Milan reached the semis, only to be knocked out by Inter Milan.
His addition excited Newcastle boss Eddie Howe, who spoke about his delight at signing Tonali while citing his Champions League experience as an important asset.
“I’m delighted to welcome Sandro to Newcastle United,” he said to the club’s official website.
“He is an exceptional talent and has the mentality, physicality and technical attributes to be a great fit for us.
“At 23, Sandro already has important experience as a key player in one of Europe’s top leagues and in the Champions League, as well as playing for his country.
“But he also has the opportunity and potential to grow and evolve with us, and I’m excited to add him to our squad as we approach the exciting season ahead.”
Our new midfielder. 🤩🇮🇹 pic.twitter.com/gxX5qMrT0c
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) July 3, 2023
Meanwhile, reacting to his move to Tyneside, the 23-year-old said: “First of all, I want to thank Newcastle United because they are giving me a huge opportunity for my career.
“I want to repay the trust on the pitch, giving it my all, as I always have. I’m really excited about playing at St. James’ Park. I can’t wait to feel the warmth of the fans.
Tonali, who has previously been nicknamed the ‘new Pirlo’, is one of Italy’s most highly-rated players and has captained his country during this summer’s Under 21 European Championship. He has 14 international caps for the Azzurri at the senior level.